Sunday, December 16, 2007

Something's missing this Christmas

I think I've figured it out. As I realize this, I'm so ashamed! In an effort to simplify the Christmas chaos over the last two years, I've gone the nutty route of shopping at 5:30 in the morning the day after Thanksgiving. I would hit one or two stores and finish my Christmas shopping by 9 am. Get gift reciepts so they can return the gift if they don't like it. that's a good use of money right? I would rather they got something they liked with the money I used to buy it. There. I don't have to think about gifts for the rest of the season .... but ... I miss thinking about the gifts. There's something about putting some thought into what individuals on my gift list might like. There's something about taking the time to make handmade gifts that come from my heart. Even if they don't appreciate that they're handmade, I know what thoughtfulness and care went into making it for them. I miss spending hours getting ready and presenting something that I really put some time and thought into. It's not about crossing the gift shopping off of my list of things to do ... the time that it takes and the thought that goes into it is a big part of Christmas for me. I'm missing that part this year. So ... next year ... I'll be hand making my gifts again. I won't be finished until the day before Christmas and the last week will be a little stress filled but I will have the joy of the season in my heart again. And I'll honor the creative gifts that God has given me to bless someone else at Christmas time. It's a joy to use those gifts and I'm cheating myself by not using them at Christmas time! I can't wait!! I think I'll start this week by making a pom pom garland. See the link at the right - it's so cute!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop