Saturday, June 28, 2008

art camp - week two

Week two - all six were here this week! We have every age group represented from Kindergarten through 5th grade, one in each grade. More friends want to join us ... looks like we're either going to overflow into the living room on the hot and rainy days or be outside for the remaining four weeks.

I found the most amazing book, Drawing with Children, at the library last week. The woman who started this style of teaching drawing (The Monart Method) has the exact same "rules" in her classes that I introduced in our first art camp class! Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence. Divine appointment ... yes.

So I used the book as a resource. After doing some drawing exercises using the 5 elements of shape taught in the book we all drew a bird drawing using verbal instructions. The idea is to give structured instructions on how to draw the bird, but give them creative license in how the bird looks. This gives each child the freedom to draw in their own style and whatever comes from their creative spirit. That's why all their drawings look different (in addition to different age levels of ability).

My hope is that this summer is something they remember as having been an encouragement to them; that nurturing their artistic side is important, and that being proud of their own work is important.






I drew mine along with them but finished the coloring in later in the evening.

Loving encouraging these kids! I also realized how much I enjoy the break from Kiana for an hour and a half!! I have a lovely friend who needs a baby fix every so often - lucky me. :o)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop