Thursday, May 1, 2008

art show update

Remember how I received those four canvases from my secret encourager? With my busy life as a mommy and artist (working on two commissioned portraits), I've decided I can't possibly do four ... I couldn't come up with even four ideas! So, I asked the art gallery putting on the show (Galaxie Chicago) if I could pass on one of the canvases to another artist to participate in the show. They said yes! So, I asked my very talented oil painter mom if she would want to join me in this show. She said she would think about it and let me know the next day, to which I replied, "You're doing it." There was nothing to think about. I knew she wanted to. So ... another artist is painting for her first show ever. What an awesome opportunity! She too struggles with the "am I good enough," "will people like it?" messages. We're doing this for the joy of it. Because we love the process. Because we believe in our hearts desire to be an artist. Mom you ARE an artist. I'm so happy to be able to pass on the blessing of these canvases and help you to step out into the scary territory of showing others your work! It's about the journey. Thanks for embracing it with me! It's going to be fun! Here's a sneak peek into the humble beginnings of one of my canvases. I have no idea what I'm doing. Yikes!! I'm thinking I'm going to do a little spin off of a couple of my art journal pages. I'm shooting for three canvases ... we'll see how things turn out ... I'm just doing it as it comes to me, I have no real plan. What's in my head already has not come out on the canvas. Scary. I work better without a strict plan ... so here goes!
The pieces are due the last week of May and the reception is Saturday, June 7th. I'm so glad there are hundreds of artists participating - there's a small sense of comfort knowing that my humble square of canvas can sort of get lost among the crowd of squares. This is a very scary adventure. But we're "doing it afraid!!"

2 comments:

Angel said...

Very Cool ! And right here at Mother's Day! I'm glad you're doing something along the likes of your art journal pages! I really enjoy each one you share! Can't wait to see the finished product!

meg duerksen said...

oh julie!
be brave.
love your art for it is - YOURS!

i love to see how much you love your new camera.
and sharing the joy with the kids.
it is contagious.

i love keeping up with you in blogland. :)

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop