Monday, March 10, 2008

life w/out girlfriends ...

... would be very depressing. A girl must have girlfriends. They are her lifeline.

I woke up rather sad today. Maybe it's just from being run down, maybe the grey sky, maybe being in this house for a week straight. I miss the land of the living. Enter Girlfriend: she calls and tells me to get myself something special today - no guilt. I think "coffee" right away.

Postal delivery guy rings doorbell and sets big package in my door for ... ME! Girlfriend (going 25 years back?!?!) from Brooklyn, NY (it sounds so glamorous!) sent me a bursting package of creative supplies and a sweet sweet note encouraging me in my artistic endeavours!

She gets it ... the creative process and how fulfilling & necessary it is for us creative types. She's one whom I always felt I could never be as creative as she ... she's SO talented. Just look at this. It's so much more beautiful in person ... to touch and to look at!
Art is a lifestyle. She gets it. Thank you SO much Jules!! You made my day. Paw Power! Ha ha!!

Then the original phone call girlfriend drops by with a gingerbread cake and a card with big chocolate lips. And a big hug just for me. I love her.

Then another Girlfriend sends me an e-card that tells me I'm "Babelicious!" and all sorts of other pick-me-up terms like a kid saying "I wish you were MY mom!" Ha ha! You make me laugh.

So I got out of the house, picked up a Starbucks Hazelnut Latte, just for me. Put the baby to bed and had two big hunks of gingerbread cake with my latte. Aidan didn't want to share my cake ... he wanted my latte - he doesn't know I'm very territorial about my very rare treat - this is one thing mom won't share.
Anyway, girlfriends can be next door or hundreds of miles away - I haven't seen my NY girlfriend in years but somehow it doesn't seem to change our friendship - each time we connect it seems like yesterday we just spoke. It's amazing. We go a year without talking and it doesn't matter. When we do connect again, it's so sweet and natural. Life changes, paths don't cross with some girlfriends for a while and it takes more effort to connect, and you make new girlfriends with whom your path crosses more often because of life circumstances. Some you talk to every day, some once a month, and others once a year or so ... but each one is so valuable. My life is so rich because of my girlfriends. My girlfriends fill a space in my heart that no one else can. And that is good. I'm feeling much better. Thanks girlfriends near and far ... I love you so much!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right back at 'cha, and you ARE babelicious! :)

maz said...

Agree wholeheartedly about girlfriends- even the one you haven't met, who leave lovely comments on your blog... thankyou!! It's so nice to think that other people are on the same wavelength... I felt out in the wilderness for so long! I'm loving your log, too,
BWs
maz x

maz said...

I meant to say I'm loving your Blog not log! (think there's a crumb stuck under my b....)

Angel said...

Absolutely... about girlfriends!
Isn't it so great to get those " postal surprises" My girl Annette from my hometown, AL
sends me great stuff too ! We have a traveling box we send back & forth! Sounds like a fun , gratifying day !

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop