Monday, March 31, 2008

art journal - "truth"

I chose to journal about something that I've wrestled with for a long long time. I've gone from wishing ... to hoping ... to believing the truth about this statement. I am an artist. For me that is a bold statement and has taken me a long time to allow others to say about me let alone embrace it as truth in my own spirit. I've wanted to be an artist since kindergarten. I called myself an artist wanna-be for many years, thinking that I had to sell my work, or create something desirable to others, or have my degree in art, or that my own look or style would come naturally. If I wasn't making a living even part time, with my art, I wasn't an artist. It got to a point where I was so afraid of not being what my heart longed to be that I didn't create anything at all for fear of disappointing myself - that my work wouldn't look at all artsy or measure up to my own standards of what an artist should produce. It would just be a dream that perhaps would never come true. The world doesn't necessarily embrace artists as valuable, just talented. It's tough to make a full time living as an artist unless you're one of the lucky few who are. One of the books that was pivotal in changing my perspective about myself was The Creative Call. I've come to understand that I'm wired to be an artist. I'm an artist because I create, not because I produce something other's find desirable. I make things that I think are beautiful! Observers don't have to like it. I love it. I loved the process of creating it. I think it's beautiful. I call it art, therefore I am an artist!! In the last 3 or 4 years I have discovered the joy of creating again, I even let other's introduce me as, "This is my friend the Artist." Sometimes I still struggle, but I choose to embrace that title and wear it proud! To all the other artists and creative types out there. Embrace the truth about the creation of your soul, the desire to create and appreciate beautiful things. Your inner artist is not defined by what other's think of you. You are an artist because that's who you were created to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts...I can totally relate. I'll check out your book suggestion. One of my personal favorites is The Passion Plan. I enjoy all your creative works...keep it up Julie.

Angel said...

Julie.... "Say it loud.. I'm an artist & I'm proud !" I love your style and every piece I see of you on this blog! Yes... keep it up!

Alysa said...

Since initially meeting you I have thought of you as an artist and continue to think of you as such. You are so right about your art being something that you love and that's what matters. I do want to say, for the record, I LOVE your art - in fact, as I've mentioned, I have one of my favorite pieces of art in my kitchen and every time i do the dishes I see your artwork - and it's beautiful! and so are you my artist friend! Good words in this blog. I think i'm beginning to think I'm an artist, too - not comparing myself to others, but because I love to create. Very cool post.

meg duerksen said...

julie this is so good.
so true.
i understnad what youare saying.
it's hard to say "i'm an artist" instead of "i'm creative."
but reading this helped my perspective.

you are definitely an artist.

Diana Cornielle said...

I just wanted to say that your words have spoken to my soul. God has used you in this blog to speak to me. Honestly! I can identify myself with your feelings. Thank you for your inspiration. God bless you and your loved ones!

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop