Thursday, March 6, 2008

not invited ...

We have an open door policy at our house ... but the flu bug was not invited and will not go away. Four days home from school. I think I've left the house 4 times since Saturday. All kids have been cooped up in here for 6 days straight. Wow. And we're surviving! After watching "Cheaper by the Dozen" several hundred times, skateboarding videos, sleeping on the couch, downing Motrin, Trimedic, more Motrin, more Trimedic, Theraflu for the adults, Advil cold and sinus, the humidifier, chicken broth, apple juice, I feel like we are a pharmacy/hospital ward. We needed a change ... these are a few of our attempts to break up the monotony the past couple of days ...
It's hard to paint when you don't feel good ...
Aidan painting a car ornament for his lego guy. We also painted a "1" on his lego man ... racer style.
Stay tuned ... something special for Kiana's room ... or bedroom door ... I haven't decided ...

Skateboard art ...

This is my old lite-brite!! Don't you just love the sunglasses? Hilarious.
Today I asked Hunter if he missed being at school and he said no. I was surprised because he's so social and I know he loves his teacher. I asked him why ... was it too much work? ... are the days too long? He says, "I just like being with my family!" As surprised as I am ... my heart sings!! So basically, behind the 7 going on 13 attitude is a heart that would prefer to be home. I know that will change, but I'll treasure it now. I also gained some new insight about why I get more attitude than his teacher does.

Me: "Do you tell you teacher, 'I don't waaaaannnnnt tooooo!' 'I'm not eating that!' 'I'm not doing it!'"


Hunter: "No."

Me:" Why not?"

Hunter:"Because at school we get card changes and stuff." (Disciplinary tools)

Me: "So if I gave card changes you wouldn't give me an attitude?"

Hunter: "Well, it's just that at school the consequences are more serious ... like going to the principle's office." Hmmm ... I guess missing dessert, losing play station privileges, playing with friends, going to bed early, extra chores ... are not serious.

Me: "Well, I could find a principle's office for you. I'll take you to Dad's office."

Hunter: "Dad doesn't have an office."

Me: "We can make the bathroom his office ... so basically you mean to tell me that I need to have more serious (or more consistent) consequences and I'll get the same angelic attitude that you give at school?"

Hunter: laughs "No!"

The conversation was actually kind-of funny. He clearly feels loved and safe at home. I'm so glad for that. But ... why is it so unfair that they push the limits harder at home? He's such a good kid. I know it. But the attitude is a problem. Consistency is key. The parenting books make it sound so much easier than it actually is. Especially when you're living with it 24/7 and have other things clawing for attention. Consistency is so important and yet is so easily brushed aside because it is WORK. Well ... I do work at it. Positive perspective: I would rather he test the boundaries at home rather than outside of my influence.

Anyway, after 6 days of being nurse mommy ... I'm feeling a little like this ...
I know this will end and I actually love knowing that this time at home hasn't been a drag for the kids ... and most of the time it's been nice to have a slower pace for me too ... it's just going a little long ...

1 comment:

Angel said...

Well wishes to you all ! Feel Better soon! Prayers for good health ! I know EXACTLY what you mean... the respect his teachers get! Never an argument with them !
Who changed diapers all those years? MOM ! Feeds them , buys them things, nurses them when they are sick MOM ! I could go on and on! ( sorry ) But, it is our duty and you must be pleased to hear great things about your childs behavior / manners / kindness and then you know you do this well !
Proverbs 22:6
Keep up the great work ! Stay strong ! Kudos to you on consistency ! have you ever heard of Nicole Johnson.. " Women of Faith" She is great! Does some really funny, real to life sketches about stuff like this !
Sorry... long post!

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop