Sunday, April 27, 2008

inspired

I've been inspired. I read a book recently (from the library) called The Creative Family. It's so cute. I love the author's philosophy. She has a similar heart to mine as far as the desire to not see the art of "Art" die or be undervalued. I want to nurture creativity in my children. I want them to appreciate the joy of creating and the honor of receiving a handmade gift. I believe all children are creative ... then they lose it growing up to the world that requires so much of them and undervalues the value of making time to be creative. Creativity gets a back seat unless we're intentional to make the time ... as if it's just as important as a business meeting. (Perhaps the time would be more productive than a business meeting!!) :o) So, I'd like to make this summer our family's most creative filled summer yet. Both boys have an interest in artsy things so I have a willing bunch. There are also two girls in the neighborhood who have a clear gift and appreciation for art. One of them is going to be a my mother's helper in exchange for art lessons. The other is a kindergartner who's mom asked me if I would give her daughter drawing lessons. So, I think I'm going to do a little art camp here this summer once a week. I'm excited! And scared!

The other little thing I've been inspired by is the "buy used" philosophy on this blog. She's a little more extreme that I am on many levels, but I like her challenge to buy used. I too get frustrated by consumerism and would like to take on the challenge to buy used. Ebay, Craigslist, garage sales, thrift stores, flea markets, garbage picking (yes! I do!), Etsy, turning trash into treasure, hand-me-downs ... all these resources are great! I would like to try to commit to pursue those outlets first before heading to Walmart or Target for the things I think I need. Maybe I'll realize after not finding what I thought I needed that I don't need it after all. I just want to live simpler and lighter - having stuff is so stressful I think. The more I get rid of stuff the better I feel.
So ... buy used and encourage creativity as a family. I'm excited to see what the year brings with these two desires in mind. I believe there will be rewards for the extra work that it's going to take. I think I'm up for it.

On that note. Here's a picture of God's creativity in the form of beautiful red curls and a practically new hand-me-down hoodie!

1 comment:

Angel said...

I love your daughters "new" hoodie!
Very "art-sy" looking! Kudos to you for the 3 R's ... reduce reuse and recycle!

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop