Thursday, April 10, 2008

some answers to questions...

Art journal:
My art journal word prompts come from this artist's blog: Emily Falconbridge. There's also a flickr group where many artists who are participating in the art journal prompts post their pages, click here to see them. I'm amazed at how endless the interpretations are for each word prompt.

Studios magazine:
Order your issue of Studio's magazine here. It has great storage solutions, both beautiful and unaffordable as well as thrifty yet beautiful and budget wise. I'm still not done reading it cover to cover. It's a special one-time issue that I found out about through my subscription to Cloth Paper Scissors.

Personal storage solutions:
One of my budget storage solutions is when my daughter was still on formula I saved several of her formula cans and painted over the label ... (they are still obviously not finished) but it's a project in progress. I have them organized by type: brushes, markers, paint pens, cords for downloads (camera), misc. (pens, exacto knife, etc.). When I was pregnant with my daughter I had to seriously condense and find storage solutions for my creative stash because she took over my craft room! Can you imagine a whole room of stuff condensed to about 5 shelves? I purged and purged. Here are a few of my storage solutions for very small spaces & on a budget.
Stamp storage. Includes stamps and stamp pads, I just pull it out, open it on my bed behind me and I've extended my studio space by a few feet! Several of these stack nicely on a shelf. I have one for sewing supplies too.
A similar box for my embellishments. The only difference is I can adjust the dividers to create compartments as big or as small as I need them to be!
Ribbon storage. (And some misc. tools in the top drawer). I could probably condense this ribbon collection ... these happen to be under my work table. I really love ribbon.
Trusty paper storage. One holds patterned paper (I wish I could say by color, that was the original intent - maybe in six years when all my kids are in school full time) and the second is solids by color (obviously). Everything else is in plastic shoe boxes. Labeled and organized by type: adhesives, tape & velcro, foam stamps, tools (like wire cutter, hole punches, etc.), fabric puffy paint, collage, whatever goes together finds a shoe box and if it doesn't fit then I don't need it. I have no more room (or money) for stuff so I do my very very best to use what I have. This system works for me because I can see it. If I can't see it, I don't know that I have it, therefore I don't use it and it's a total waste!
Sort of boring pictures but maybe they'll help someone else who is organizing a studio/work space and needs some budget wise solutions! Save your coupon's and get the discounts!



No comments:

About Me

My photo
Chicagoland, United States
I'm a creative spirit who, only recently, has discovered that I must do something creative every day. I love my three children. I love my hard working husband. I love experiencing God's goodness in everyday things and my deepest desire is to grow more in love with Him every day. I love worship, I love God's Word, and I love expressing the gifts he's given me through art and in my home. I am passionate about life and all things creative! All text, art, and photos are copyrighted 2007 - 2008 all rights reserved.

My Etsy Shop